User Manual For XML Dog v1.2Content:
1.1 Main Window
1.2 List of Tasks
1.3 Task Groups
1.4 Edit Tasks
1.5 Error Window: Validate, Transform
1.6 Error Window: XML Schema Validation
XML Dog is an application to check (well-formed, XML Schema) and transform XML files.
The main window shows the list of 'tasks' (1), and, if applicable, the errors found in the current task (2).
The figure below shows a list of tasks. For every task the following information is shown (see numbers in screenshot):
- The files (XML, Schema, Stylesheet, Transformation result)
- Time and result of last execution
- Options for automatic execution (on change of a file or in time interval)
- Button for manual execution
The options of automatic execution: If the execution on change of an input file is turned on, the icon 'Bell' is activated. If the execution in a time interval is turned on, the Icon 'Alarm Clock' is activated. Both triggers are activated/deactivated using the checkbox 'Activated'.
Tasks may be organized in groups, a group contains multiple tasks.
The list on the top contains the list of groups created. The buttons next to it allows you to add, rename and delete groups.
For editing tasks, right click on one and choose 'Edit Task':
The window 'Edit Task' is shown.
Here you specify the action to be executed (changeable only when creating a new task):
- Validate XML: Checks whether a XML file is well-formed
- Validate XML Using XML Schema: Validates XML against a XML schema
- Transform XML Using XML Stylesheet
In 'Files' you choose the files affected. For every field the most recent 20 inputs are accessable using the button 'Arrow Down'.
You can also drag-and-drop files from the Windows Explorer© to one of the fields.
For automatic execution the trigger can be customized:
- On Change of an Input File: Task is executed if the last modification date of any input file is updated.
- In Interval: Task is executed every x seconds.
By double clicking on one of the tasks the errors window is opened.
Here the times and results of the tasks executions are shown.
Using the checkbox 'Select Last Entry' you specify that after an execution the most recent entry should be choosen.
Hint: On deletion and movement of tasks you may have to close and reopen the error window.
On validation of a XML file against a schema detailled information on errors can be accessed.
The XML Dog is a 60 days evaluation version. When licensing Easy XML Editor or XML Assistant you will get a XML Dog license for free. XML Dog cannot be licensed alone.